After a fashion.
Both my current roommates/housemate/tenants (I never have figured out what to call them) are out. I have the house to myself! Whee! Generally, I enjoy renting rooms. It covers the mortgage, which teaching does not do; it provides company, mostly of the good variety; and it, well, I can’t think of what else it does. But I usually enjoy it. The part that is constantly a chafe is the kitchen. I think the next temporary person look for will have to have “hates to cook” in the ad. Sharing the kitchen with one person works well. Two is crowded. I’m over it.
Other things of note:
- it has been hot and humid as fuck, after the rainiest June I can remember, but I just figured out how to program the thermostats for the mini-splits and I a feel like the eco-police might yet pass by my door. There has been what I consider too much air conditioning happening, but it is just so damn hot and I am trying to keep tenants happy and paying rent.
- a restaurant across the street from me just sold/is closing. This is great for the owner, who I do like a good bit, but – wow – is that restaurant wrapped up in some good times from my life and its passing is more than a little sad to me. Silly to mourn the passing of a restaurant, I guess, but there it is. I’m sad.
- work, aka “camp” is more than half over for me! Whee! It is so worth the lack of money to not pull an entire summer of camp. I need the break, y’all. So as to come back “into the classroom” refreshed. I fully intend to be refreshed, because…
- cho-girl is in Maryland doing her Montessori training, which means I will be “assisted” (because who could call what she did mere assistance?) by somebody else. Hiring is happening. I’ve never done it before. New skillz! I may haz them! (N.B. the use of the word “may”.)
- wow, y’all, I sure do love my cats. Probably this goes without saying, but, wow. So true. It’s a little embarrassing. I can’t believe I just made a entire item about that.
- also in the world of “my work” I went to a workshop last weekend on RIE, which was great. I’ve been reading a lot about it this past year (mostly here), and I’m pretty sold on a lot of the ideas, which are pretty similar to Montessori. So that was great. Only now I really want to run a tiny baby class and be done with these giant, geriatric toddlers.
- the gas line from the pipe in the floor to my stove got replaced. Fun times! There was the faintest smell of gas and I dithered over it for a moment and then called the emergency gas leak number in the phone book (starrhillgirl, still using phone books in 2013) and the nice man from the city, who’s been here before for a gas leak, came right over and did all his little test things and swore up and down the space behind my stove was no grosser than he’d seen before and found a tiny leak in the flex pipe. Which I then convinced a friend to come fix in exchange for a night of babysitting. Done and done. But wow, it was gross behind the stove. There was cat pee. Ugh. And yuck. But now there is not. Whew.
Looming on the horizon! A trip to the west coast! To see chosen family, not family of origin (who are great, don’t get me wrong) and to ride a train from San Fransisco to Seattle! I’m so excited!
I got some new chickens. They are Kourtney, Kim, Klhoe, and Rob. Along with Kate, the last chicken standing, they are the Kardashian-Olsens. Kate doesn’t seem to like them very much. Or, at least she is very busy squawking at them. Not to busy to lay eggs, though, for which I am grateful. Chickens are sort of a pain, but buying eggs is bullshit.
Inspired by my recent visit to Indigo House, I put up some tomatoes. It was really a great deal I happened onto. See, the nice lady at my CSA has been too busy growing tomatoes to can any of her own, so she gave me about a million tomatoes and I did the canning and we will split the jars. Perfect, yes? Yes.
I used ye olde internetz and found these guys, whose canning deal looked do-able, and I dove right in. I have 8 pint jars of Juliets, which are like romas, and 8 quart jars of some other sort of tomato. It really wasn’t that hard, although I did have to reprocess a few jars whose seals were for shit. I am pretty proud. I am also hopeful that I don’t give my nice farmer family botulism. As a side note, I’ve discovered, given my n of 3 (me and those two nice guys in the above link), that gay people like to can tomatoes. Also, we like to drink beer and eat chinese food.
Summer is ending. Now, don’t think for a minute I had the summer off. The mortgage still has to be paid. So I did a little summer camp and it was fine. Only until noon, which is almost like not work. And only six weeks, so I could return to the classroom refreshed. Re. Freshed. Or something. Anyway, I went to school for a bit yesterday, to tidy a little for the parent meeting that was scheduled for the evening and I ended up hauling around a bunch of furniture. All new in September, kids! Well, it would be all new to them anyway, since they are so small. It’s not done yet by a long shot, but I think I’ve made for an easy work week for me and cho-girl.
And to round out this all about me post (really, are there any post that are not all about me?), I have my annual summer spider bites. Oozy and itchy. There’s no picture. You’re welcome.
Here, have a link instead: what it’s like here these days.
My internet comes and goes at will. Now, I’m all for freedom, but please, internet, at least stick to your curfew and be home after dark.
- I heart colons. The punctuation kind, although I am also grateful for the services provided by the one I carry with me all the time.
- The heat has broken, thank you baby Jesus.
- I had dream while I took my nap this afternoon that the gf came back early from her (stupid) camping trip and snuck (sneaked?) up behind me and I knew it was her by how her hands felt in mine and the smell of her neck. Then the dream got sort of weird, but when has anyone ever talked about a dream *not* being weird?
- On account of some staffing shake-ups at my school, I am sort of running tomorrow night’s parent meeting (yes, the one you’ll remember from last year where I did absolutly nothing.). HA! Hahahaha. This ought to be good.
- Yes, school is starting. I almost embrace it. In large part because I have not one but two returning students and I’ll make them take care of everything. CHO-girl and I will sit back and chillax. They’ll be 3 soon! They’ll be fine!
- Sometimes I wish I had the wearwithall to go fix all the inconsistancies in my blog. Sometimes.
- I’m off to the Valley to have bolgogi with The Cutest Family of the Valley.
- Perseids tomorrow.
- I also heart StarDate.
Lunch: leftover boxed mac and cheese with sabzi my best roommate made last night, with an afternoon snack of coffee (!) and bread and butter with jam from my mama.
Do we even know each other? It’s been so long….
Just kidding. I know you’ve been bouncing in your collective seats, biting your collective nails, wondering wtf is happening in Starrhill. There’s nothing so exciting as the news from here.
In no particular order:
- nothing – for real, nothing. It’s summer and that’s how we roll around here. I’ve been taking care of various children to pay the bills and sitting on the porch with drinks and generally doing nothing.
- small skunk sighting – not a baby and not an adult, but cute. Also surprising enough to make me jump. And cute enough to make me think of Pepe Le Pew and worry for my little girl kitten, who does look a good bit like the little black cat Pepe’s always after.
- vacation – woo and hoo! I haven’t had a real vacation in years. Years, I tell you. The gf and I went up north, stopping at her folks’ in LI and then on to Western Mass for a wedding (as a side note, the officiant made a very low-key and lovely comment at the start of the ceremony about how marrige is a right and that we hope soon it will be in everyone’s reach – warmed my little gay heart), which is totally at the top of my weddings-attended list. Then post fab-wedding weekend (yes, it was a whole weekend, yes it was *fab*) we went back to LI/NYC. There was beach time, there was boat time, there was city time. We ate more Korean food than you can shake a stick at. The gf’s mama gave me a skirt. And some beach glass. I got to see the gf drive a boat and yes,it was a hot as you might thing. I slept late and got tan.
- I haz an air conditioner in my bedroom. Some people are more, shall we say “sensitive” to the heat. Oh, the things you do for love.
- not pregnant – again. And then again! *sigh* And, yes, this has been the blight of my summer. If I had gotten knocked up, or if I were not ttc, this summer could be labeled as One Of The Best Times Of My Life. But no. TTC fucks everything up. Don’t let me discourage you, though.
- RE visits – see above. RE visits with company, and by company I mean the gf. Yes, Clem, I’ve changed her name, just for you. I’ll remind y’all again that my RE is the best RE: full of science and stories and willing to explain any and everything he does *and* immediately and totally inclusive of the gf – asides to be sure she understood terms like ICSI and full eye-contact and hand shakes and generally just being great. Keep in mind accompanying me on RE visits holds no additional meaning for us. So don’t jump to any conclusions – yes, I’m talking to you. And you. And, yes, you, too. Good lord, y’all.
- drugs – not recreational ones. Just my old friend Femara. You might remember that The Pregnancy That Wasn’t occurred sans meds and so I opted to continue trying without them once I got back on the horse January last. Oh dreams of un-assisted conception, how far and hard you fall. Anyway, yeah, I’ve given up on that shit. Western medicine. Bring it.
- the peeps – um, well, ah…. things have changed with the peeps. They are big now, as you might guess. I almost don’t recognize them in those pictures from a few months ago. So, ah, the other thing is that both those peeps turned out to be roosters. Ha. One of them started crowing and getting rather aggressive and so I passed him on to a friend in the country. He eventually got eaten by a dog but he had a good run at country life for a few weeks before that. Before his passing, but after his exile from Starrhill, I bought 3 more peeps off of Craigslist. All girls. They are blue laced Wyandottes we like to call Mary, Kate and Ashley. And, yes, you counted right. There is still one of the Original Peeps here in Starrhill. We like to call him Lola. I would end up with genderqueer chickens.
- IVP visit – Woo and Hoo! We squeezed in a visit with Jude and her fab and adorable fam. They are fab and, yes, I pretty much love Northhampton, like the good lesbian I am.
- June visit with my cousin – woo! She’s big now. It was like a real adult visit. I heart her.
- the gf – yes, I know some of you are stalking me just because of her legs. I see you over there, hoping for another picture of her in shorts. Sad to say, my camera is broken. Anyway, it’s pretty damn good these days, y’all. Blissful and lovely for here, please.
- work – what work? (Ok, I am looking forward to it just a little bit, as cho-girl is coming to teach with me again.)
- fermenting – so far I’ve got pickles and sauerkraut and radishes under my belt. Some are more successful than others. Also plum jam from plums the gf and my roommate scavenged from the tree by the school. I’m sure there will be more putting up in the next weeks as I try to hang on to whatever summer I can.
It’s time for a nap after lunch (leftover fritta with leeks and zucchini from the farm, maybe some peaches). Log your lunch. I’ve missed you.
(just so we know this is not a blog only about my peeps)
In no particular order:
- there are one and one half days of school left. Thank fucking god. I don’t blog about work, but this year has sucked.
- the peeps spend most days outside, which is great, because they are messy as shit. For real. But I heart them.
- no camp for me this summer (teaching, that is). I have a fab new babysitting charge – let’s call her….. ah, something. I’ll come up with something.
- ttc shit is totally overwhelming and hence paralyzing. What to do next? Can’t think about it, can’t decide, can’t deal. Woo!
- recent fab visit from my white grandma involving tea at my house – twice! Woo for real!
- general blah > general not blah. This bites.
- j says I’m not blogging enough. Who am I to argue with her?
- the kitten, who were once so tiny, are now 1 and very big. I also heart them. The boy one likes to lay around “guarding” the peeps when they are outside.
- The New Girl is being…. well, herself. We’ll see how all that goes, as I can’t really be much of anything but myself, and those mesh less than well recently (see #6 above).
- house and yard are, as per usual, more work than I want to deal with. Lame. Dirty and untidy do nothing to make me feel good, and yet they are so hard to send packing.
- I have a new doula client, which causes me to remember that I really, really like birth work.
- LB is very good at keeping up with folks, for which I am grateful.
- my csa started and the neighbors are going to roast a whole pig in my driveway.
What’s new with you?
Here we are – sans stripper, without crotchless panties – waiting to have a “Bachelorette” party for my most locally famous blogger/RL friend – Wistar Watts Murry. The Plan, made up by the KP and me, was to break in to her blog and have all us guests write some little something (and by little, I mean dirty) for her.
Alas, when we tried to break into her blog – via passwords like “darren4eva” and “iheartkittens77” – we were met with failure. So here we are, as I said. Imagine me jumping out of a virtual cake. Ok, actually, that’s the KP jumping out of the virtual cake. Don’t tell me you’re surprised.
The Guest of Honor (heh) is due to arrive on the arm of her ever-charming fiance, the BBF. He’s cute. You can take it from me.
Huh. So much for a picture – it’s really dark in here.
Hey, it’s Jennifer. I just took a picture of myself that Meghan thinks somehow looks prettyish. Hmmm? Here ya go:
Wistar, when are you going to get here to your surprise party. You’re 19 minutes late already. And we are getting dronk. I asked Christos to jump out of a cake, but he said if I can’t make it to the wedding how can I jump out of a cake. Good point. I will jump out of a tiramisu when you arrive. I swear. I did a lot of cutting and pasting of DoDo from your Flickr gallery and I hope you approve. I love you.
MMS and MRM and MLM here. Stupid first letter matching, Murrays suck.
MLM missed the photo shoot, lucky her.
Miller made Merrill cry. But she’s OK now. SSSHHHHH here comes Wistar!
Word is she’s been eating sushi. Mil and Meig had pasta six hours ago with kiddos. So pleased Lang is here, she’s the best.
Are they really coming right now or is this a joke? Somebody recommended we hide in the bathroom. We should have established this plan before 8:32.
Starrhillgirl needs to go to bed, I hope they hurry up. More “let’s pop out” from Jennifer. Should we say “happy birthday” or “happy easter” or “surprise” oh goodness this is stressful. They are walking soooo slowly. Wis must be wasted..
get down get down get down what are we saying 123 surprise!
***Let’s take note that Wistar actually said “EEEEEEE” when we all yelled.*****
Wis is here, whew. Never looked better.
There is a lot of lady up in here! I want to Wish W.W. M all the luck in the world.
P.S. call me when you are ready for a girl on girl affair.
Can’t think of a title. Can’t even blog properly. God damn, the start of the school year is hard. Last week, I’d have told you it broke me. We’ll see what happens this week.
Horrible and classic premenstrual irritation this afternoon. 11 dpo, if you’re counting. I am sort of not. Sort of.
All other things are good.
Good lord, I miss y’all.