Or Two for Two, if you’d rather.
Here’s the source of my new favorite daily email: Grammar Girl. See, you go to the site and not only can you read all about Fun Grammar Stuffs, you can sign up to get one email a day delivered right to your very own inbox! Woo!
Today, I went to a soccer game to watch Sophie fall and totally fuck up her ankle. Poor kid. she has crutches now, of which I’d bet she is very proud. Her mama took her to the hospital and she got a brace that goes from her ankle to her mid-thigh, which “really sucks.” Or so she says. Then when they got back, her mama got attacked by one of their cats. Quite the afternoon.
Lunch. Bulgogi and collard greens, boiled and then well buttered. The market started a few weeks ago and all I want to do is eat greens all day. Log your lunch, please.
Can you believe I forgot to log my lunch yesterday? Summer has bitten me in the ass, y’all. Truly.
My small, auxiliary red-head is back from her week long vacation, so I am “working” again. So far this week, the boy kitten has napped with her both days. This is like heaven for her. Sophie, my pretend child, aka my pre-teen, original red-head, is just back from a weekend trip to NYC. I have yet to get the highlights.
The Starrhill Lesbian Bed and Breakfast Collective (see my old Friendster profile) is currently occupied. Occupied by the fabulous AJ. Woo! AJ! Hoo! So far we have: had whiskey, caught up, sat on the porch, mirated kittens, had dinner, learned about the Quiverfulls (no I wil not “bless” them with a link), had mroe wiskey, and continued to mirate the kittens. Fun! You wish you were here – and I do, too.
Lunch? How about lunch? Not pants. I mean, I am wearing pants….. Anyway. Yesterday was the last of a leftover fritta that was less than good at 5 days out. I tossed it and had chips and salsa from the day before (not spicey enough, but the the chiles have yet to come in, so there you go). Today was leftover breakfast from the diner – egg over easy on a biscuit with ham and a tomato slice with the best hash browns in town (original meal with cho-girl and largest cho-boy, the other smaller one, my tiny bf, was a camp at the SPCA, because he loves animals Teh Best).
This summer is so lazy so far I can’t even get it together to blog. My small auxilary red-head is out of town, so I am living the easy life this week – my only commitment is to pick Sophie up at her camp bus stop in the afternoons. Whew. It’s hard work, but somebody has to do it.
You’d think I’d be getting all sorts of useful shit done, like updating my blog roll or painting the new and improved mudroom, but no, that’s not how we roll here in Starrhill. The CHO’s have been visiting a good bit, to see the kittens – the smallest CHO, my tiny bf, *loves* animals. They find me a slack pet owner, though, as I don’t have any cat toys, so they brought me the toy mouse they’d gotten my little black girl cat when she was having her spa week chez CHO. I am actually feeling pretty ok about her death – a week-long spa and then dying in bed sounds like a pretty good way to go, if you’ve got to go. Although I do walk in the house and expect to see her.
I had the speediest dinner ever last night with the neighbors (eat and run – we let ourselves be rude to each other like that) and then got sucked into the vortex that is LB’s porch. See she’s got this new place – a high up, charming apartment in an old brick house – and it has a tucked away, high up porch. That sucks you in and then you’re stuck. Stuck I tell you! It’s one of those places where you go, thinking I’ll just stay for a minute…. and then – WHAM! – it’s 2 in the morning. Ok, actually, it was 1:30, but you get the picture, right? It’s just so nice there that though you might try your hardest, but you just. can’t. leave. Kind of like heaven might be, I bet.
The kittens met the big cats today. It wasn’t terrible. The stripey old man cat seemed slightly put off and confused. The bad cat, the calico, was slightly irritated. Probably with me. All in all, rather uneventful. The kittens had the run of the downstairs for most of the morning and then were soooooo tired they took a nap with me on the big girl couch. Being a kitten is hard work.
Umm. This was supposed to be a longer post. Oops. I’m going to try to pull off a password protected post shortly – woo! New Skillz. It’s IVP-only, so you IVP kids can email me at starrhillgirl at gmail, but I’ll distract all you other folks with pictures of the kittens. Yay! Kittens!
And lunch: yesterday – black berry pie with custard sauce and chips and salsa; today – left over Clean-The Fridge-Frittata and cucumbers with I’s fab green goddess dressing. Local count – berries in the pie, some components in the salsa, the chips (not made by me, but still local), Egyptian oinions (like scallions), garlic, greens mix, eggs, oregano, goat’s cheese and baby swiss in the frittata (that’s a totally local dish, minus the oil), cucumbers. Log your lunch, y’all. Food is good.
This morning, I made it to the market before the crowds! Woo! The crowds, they show up earlier and earlier as the years go by. Time was, if you got to the market by 9 am, you were gold. Not now. 7:15, baby. After that it’s wall to wall people and suv strollers and all the good stuff is gone. I’ll take pictures next week, Mrs. B, I swear.
But on to lunch. A leftover bagel sandwich from the local bagel store. Tuna with lettuce, tomato and swiss on a cinnamon raisin bagel. Sounds bad, huh? But it was surprisingly delicious. Log your lunch, kids.
I spent the afternoon working Sophie like a dog painting the new and improved mudroom (not. done. yet.). Then we went to see Kung Fu Panda, which was great. Then we went to The Diner and ate pancakes and a hamburger for dinner. Guess correctly who ate what and I’ll take you to The Diner. We took books with us. It was kind of like heaven. I sure do love that kid.
Thanks for all the comments. It sure is good to be here.
What do y’all think of the new WordPress digs? Nice? I am still acclimating. Maybe some whiskey will help…..
Well, look at that. It does!
Anyway. Where have I been? Why the move, from me, the queen of Not Moving? What the fuck is going on in Starrhill? What did you eat for lunch today? So many questions, so few hours in the day…… Let’s have a loosely organized totally unorganized list. Woo!
- numbers are fun – let’s use a numbered list
- Where have I been? I’ve been home and away – home, then Los Angeles, then home. Here I am at home. Whew. Home is good.
- Oh, you meant, why the lack of blog post? General shit. Busy and conflicted about blogging and somewhat frantic/anxious and all that sort of crap. Plus all the shit going on in Starrhill. See below.
- Why did I go to LA? Because big chunks of my family are there. The white side and the Mexican side. My grandma turned 90. All my cousins were there. I cruised around Montebello in my uncle’s pick-up with my best cousin, listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young with my feet on the dash. We visited my grandpa’s grave and shared the pull-out couch like always. I ate chorizo for breakfast almost every morning. I sat on my southern grandma’s balcony and had a pre-dinner scotch. I stayed 2 days too long. I am not such a fan of LA, but my family is fab.
- I hate moving, so why the move? Because Chicory said once that anyone who really loves her would switch to WordPress. And I *really* love her. Really. There may be some sort of learning along the way, so hold on to your hats, y’al.
And for the finale – another list! Woo and hoo! 2 in one post!
What the fuck is going on in Starrhill?
- pet drama: 2 sick cats then one dead cat. My little black cat died earlier this week. Yes, the one who had the lovely week of luxury at Spa CHO; the one who’d been so sick earlier. Poor tiny girl. There were multiple trips to the vet and multiple medications and daily sub-q fluids (I’m a pro now). And there was the slow slipping away. She couldn’t walk at the end, but she’d pull together all her strength to cry when I left the room, or to climb onto my leg if I sat down by her. So I brought her up to my bed that last night and realized around 4 that she’d stopped breathing. She just slipped away.
- pet drama II: the other sick cat is sick. But still feisty. She’s got some sort of dental abcess and the (stranger) vet was all x-ray this and dental surgery that and I was all ahhhh – I’ve got a dying cat at home and *this* cat will be getting antibiotics and then she will be getting well, thank you very much. And she is. Getting well, I mean. Thank you very much.
- car drama: woo! my current car is running poorly. As in, it would die after I’d start it up, when I was out and about in last week’s heat wave. Currently, it is resting. Next week, we reevaluate our relationship and come to terms with how we’ll deal with further issues that involve a fucking lack of fucking getting me and small children where we fucking need to go so we can take our fucking naps.
- and yes, the heat. Fuck me. It was around 60º in LA and I came back to August in Virginia. I love summer, y’all. I even love hot. But there was no prep, no buildup, just heat. It was 88º inside my house on Tuesday. Inside. With the curtains drawn and the fans on.
- CLAW 5. Great. As you might imagine.
- home improvement! Woo and Hoo! I’m going to move the washing machine out of the kitchen and I’m going to buy a dryer. From my boss for fifty dollars. I haven’t had a dryer since….ummm sometime in the mid-90’s. I do heart my clothesline, though. Said home improvement is dirtier and more unsettling than I imagined it to be.
- work – i’m not teaching this summer (shhh….. woo and hoo), but I do have a new small, auxiliary red-head to watch in the afternoons in addition to Sophie, my pretend child. There is napping involved. Yay napping!
Ok, ok, I know the IVP in you is dying for updates. After a crazy time scheduling a wanding today (isn’t this shit supposed to be easier if I’m *not* teaching?) I rolled in to the RE’s at 3:30. And saw some confusing shit. Nothing on the right. Nothing after 5 days of femara. And on the left? One or two follicles. If it’s 2 (and let’s hope for 2) they are lying as close together as white on rice, so close it is damn near impossible to tell if they really are 2, but let’s hope that they are. Because if they are 1, then that one is fucking huge for CD 10, which is where we are now (we being me), so huge as to be Ready To Go, ready to ovulate tomorrow or Sunday. And we all know that Fed Ex don’t play like that. There will be no sperm shipment from the West until Tuesday. So let’s just assume there are 2 and that they grow slowly. Slow. Ly. Because even if they are 2 (and let’s just say they are), they are already 16mm and I can push those fuckers along fast when I want to, or so says my RE (well, he doesn’t say fuckers, but you get the idea). I’d be grateful for some IVP mojo right about now.
And lunch? Grains and greens. Mustard greens and yellow chard with quinoa (regular and red) and amaranth. And salad with fancy green goddess dressing made by good old IB (queen of gimlets and the back deck, you’ll remember).
Log your lunch, y’all, we’re back in business.
So there was the great post, all written in my head, about how today ran the gamut from bottom-of-the-barrel to woo-and-hoo! but I just finished figuring out how to post pictures over at wordpress for the CLAW blog and I am wore out, y’all. So, haha! I’ll give you a list and you can sort things into the good, the bad, and the SOOOOO-not-ugly your own selves.
- had very bad cold yesterday, as in very bad, causing me to miss brunch with some Crazytown extendo-family types and a memorial service that I really wanted to attend. Said very bad cold still present this am, but still I have to go to work because that is The Way It Is.
- scramble to find tylenol at the only store open between my house and school, because that is the only pain killer I can take in the ttw, and a pain killer will keep me from killing the children at school, where I should not be because of above-mentioned very bad cold but too bad because that is The Way It Is.
- cho-girl subs in my class and as a bonus to her greatness, brings me tylenol, because above-mentioned store only had the sinus kind or the allergy kind and those kinds will probably make my Baby the Possible have 3 heads and so I did not buy them, but drove to school near tears instead (crying in the privacy of one’s truck – or one’s dad’s truck – is far different from crying in front of Teh Public, plus, I said “near tears” not “in tears” see? I was sick! Cut me some slack.).
- half the staff of my school is out today – ok, not half, but 4 out of 14. No lie. But I get to teach with above-mentioned cho-girl, who is occasionally sympathetic but mostly just large and in charge of the children, which is just what the non-existent doctor ordered (things starting to look up here). Too much sympathy makes me woozy.
- manage to not kill any children at school, nor do I give them my very bad cold, because they must all be immune at this point, having already given it to me. Thanks, children.
- it rains. All day. We do not go outside, which means that I don’t have to wake up my nappers. More sleep = yay.
- Sandy, Sophie’s mama, is on the radio when I get in the truck after school (this is where things really begin to look up) and to sweeten the deal, Sophie is not too surly! That’s 3 days in a row! And is worth both of those exclamation points and this bonus one!
- my roommate makes enchiladas for dinner. Enchiladas which will also be my lunch tomorrow. It is nice to be hungry again.
- (the best for last) I got these in the mail today:
Thanks Mrs. B. Art saves lives, y’all.
Sophie, my pretend child, has gotten a cell phone. It’s “sooo cool!” Heaven help us.