JFC, I hate doing pictures in WP. Why is it so hard? Or, alternatively, why am I so dumb?
Anyway, let’s cover the kitten portion of the update! Who doesn’t love a kitten? Not me, that’s not who. How many negatives is that? Are those past sentences even sensible? To be clear, I love a kitten. Hell, I love two kittens! And, yes, I got some more kittens.
Back in the spring, May, I think, a friend’s 11 year old spent the weekend with me and, poor child, she had never been to the SPCA! Such neglect. So I took her. And I was strong, my friends. Strong. The main area of cats was full of sweet and soft kitties and we petted everyone. And I was still strong as we moved into the kitty overflow area, which is just a hallway with extra cages full of kittens. And we petted everyone of them, too. Until we got to the last cage, where I popped open the door to hold the kittens. Because I’d been strong, so I was sure I could handle a little kitten snuggle. And the little black one was so funny with his giant ear hair! What bad could come of holding him? No bad. I was sure. But then I picked him up and held him by my neck and he felt just like Walter, Jr. And I knew I had to take him home with me. But he had this sister…. I could hardly afford one more cat, let alone two. So forget it. But! It was two for one day! Two kittens for the price of one!
And so now they live with me. Walter III, who you can call Trip, and Bernice, who loves with the truest heart. I have yet to regret getting them.
(Pictures courtesy of LB, who logs her lunch, but never blogs.)
See, I should have been writing all this weekend, since I am on bed rest and all. But nooooo. There have been Issues. So I am just writing now, and well, since it has been an age since I wrote two posts within a decade of each other, I will assume y’all are not surprised. But! Let’s get back on the horse, yes? Yes.
Commitment. It’s what’s for breakfast, as Bionic would tell you, if she were writing Caved, which clearly she is not, or else there would be things to read on here.
What would you like to hear about first? The bed rest or the Issues? I know! Let’s do a list! Other, better bloggers are a little touchy about lists, but I love them with a fierce and devoted love that is akin to my love for popcorn.
Here we go!
- I am on bedrest post an embryo transfer on Friday. Yes, I can’t seem to quit you, fertility procedures…. Do not ask about the state of my bank account; I don’t. This was and was not the aforementioned last ditch effort, which I mentioned afore. However, the wonder of the links in that post still stands.
- While I was busy receiving Friday’s embryos, which are certainly loving and giving, one of my cats was, I assume, hit by a car. Now, this is sad. It is. However, I’ll be honest and say that it is not nearly as sad as when other cats of mine have died. This cat, sweet pretty boy that he was, was only sort of mine. I’d taken him in to save him from a life in Manhattan, which his former owner thought would be horrible for him, and to judge by his love running about outside, I think she was right. So he lived here, although he quit coming in the house when the kittens arrived (WTF?! Kittens?). He ate on the front porch and was as friendly as you could want in a cat, galloping in from wherever he went across the street, rubbing his head against my leg. He was huge and black and gorgeous with shoulders like a football player. He would not keep a collar on. He would disappear for a day or so at a time, and loved to hunt. The bird population will not miss him. But my neighbor will. She loved him with a devotion people usually reserve for their own pets, and she has many, mind you. She is the one who found him and I might be the most sad about that. He is buried on the north side of my house, along with Bailey and Walter, Jr.
- Not to go from that to something else entirely, but Saturday morning, the toilet in my brand-new-fab-re-done downstairs bathroom started over flowing. All over my gorgeous new floor. And under the wall, into and across the hallway. Fun times! So I said “fuck bedrest” and started bailing the toilet because it was too full to plunge, and also mopping up the toilet water with every single rag I have and some throw rugs for good measure. It was horrid. And then the water level went up some more and I bailed the bucket into the sink and then bailed the toilet into the bucket some more, because the bucket was so heavy I was pretty sure I shouldn’t lift it. And the water I was bailing was *warm*. Which made me fear a huge systemic clog, since the washer was running. And then I cried and called my dad. Who came over and valiantly plunged and snaked and plunged some more, but in vain. So then I called a rooter. And called him again. And again and again. Also in vain. By 6:30, I gave up and called somebody else and he showed up and cleared the clog and talked my ear off. And then he left and I could pee. Whew.
So this has been the lest restful bed rest so far, although I have high hopes for today.
What else shall I tell y’all about? The new kittens? The down and dirty tale of exactly how my infertility goes these day with sub-topics like the draw of genetics and What Bitterness Means To Me? The roundabout of roommates? Links to some great blogs of families incorporating Montessori ideas into the spaces they make for their babies? The slippery slope that is me and tv via netflix?
You can always log your lunch while you think it over.
- the market, pre-yuppie invasion. Got tiny pumpkins for singing the 5 Little Pumpkin song at school. Did not get any meat. Am sorry now.
- let the kittens outside to play.
- let the chickens out of their yard to be temporarily free range.
- visited with LB.
- coffee out plus tiny grocery shopping at Reid’s with newly re-found gift card!
- helped change spark plugs on dad’s truck. Got to borrow t-bird. Fair trade, yes?
- went to tiny reunion of kids from my summer job/birthday party, which was fab.
- dinner with K and E, which was also fab.
- bed, ah, bed….
- let kittens out again to play. Kittens are SO happy! So! Happy!
- let chickens out again, too. Chickens are SO chickens! Just chickens.
- had coffee and the comics in the sun on the front porch
- admired frolicking kittens
- yard work: moved thyme and oregano to newly weeded bed on the south side of the house; moved wooly thyme from pot to ground in two spots to reclaim it’s ground-cover roots, mowed lawn.
- gamboling kittens!
- laundry: delicates, whites, sheets. All on the line. (I run out of clothes pins before I run out of line space with my new clothesline.)
- moved litterbox to mudroom, freeing downstairs bathroom from lowly “cat bathroom” status and facilitating transition to no motherfucking litterbox. I hope.
- picked up LB in the t-bird and went for a drive. Saw Jim Waive play, drove home. Did not cruise through a hamberger stand, but had fun all the same.
Rest in peace, sweet boy.
Or, maybe a stage mother.
Either way! My boy kitten is going to be on film!
Here he is, all in cognito and shit, on cho-girl’s lap:
Sadly, I can’t figure out video on old WP. I was going to show you his audition tape.
My internet, oh how it is lacking to me. Vous me manquez, aussi. And my high school French serves me poorly, again.
Any. Way. Things of note:
* Old man cat love – so fab. Thanks, y’all, is what I really mean. He was a sweet old man and his passing was as good as it could have been: in front of the fire, a parent from school with her vet’s bag of tricks and her children playing in the next room, visits from my mom and cho-girl before hand and my good roommate to hold off the vein so I could sit by his head. We buried him in the side yard by the acusa dogwood. And by we, I mean the gf and the good roommate did the digging and I said encouraging things.
* I’ve been trying to catch up on my internet people and, lord y’all, it’s hard. There are a lot of you and you’re all so interesting. But in doing so, I came across the blog of a RL friend who is taking a motorcycle trip through mf-ing Central and South America. God damn. I mean, for real.
* No insems this month (ahhh, I LOVE saying month, not “cycle”). It’s been over a year since I had a cycle without prog and I wonder how long this one will be. I’m not off the horse, not by a long shot but a break sure is nice.
*I get to hang out with LB for the second time this week! Go me!
* The gf is making kimchi jjigae. And in other Korean food news, she brought galbi tang to school for my lunch yesterday and end stayed to have lunch with cho-girl and me and our tiny lunch companions. My boss had brought me some of the best french fries in the world and two pickles plus there was left over guacamole that my intern (I have an intern!) had helped the children make, so we divided everything up and had a very multi-cultural feast. Let’s have a show of hands from those of us who eat their french fries with chopsticks. And log your lunch. More pics from Cali of mama and baby lunches when I get back onto my computer.
My stripey old man cat is almost at the end of his long decline. May he have a a smooth passage and a place forever in the sun of my memory. He is 18 and some. A long enough life for a good cat.